Historic site and monument
cathedral of our lady of the assumption
Located in the old town, the cathedral was completed in 1593. The building is typical of the Counter-Reformation architecture. Built on a Latin cross plan, its transept crossing is illuminated by a dome.
Inside, the cathedral is particularly remarkable for its high altar given in 1811 by Elisa, Napoleon's sister. Several side chapels are of interest: the chapel of the Madonna del pianto (first on the left as you enter) where there is a painting by Eugène Delacroix: the Virgin with the Sacred Heart. The second chapel is dedicated to Our Lady of Mercy, the patron saint of Ajaccio because she saved the town from the plague in 1656. Next to it is the chapel dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary. It is here, under this chapel, that the Bonapartes had their tomb.
The baptistery, which was used for Napoleon's baptism, and the organs are worth mentioning
. Open subject to change in the morning and afternoon. Closed on Sunday afternoons.
Take the Muvistrada buses: Lines 1/ 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 7/ 9 - Nearest stop: Cathedral
In a group
- MondayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- TuesdayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- WednesdayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- ThursdayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- FridayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- SaturdayFrom 08:30 to 11:30 and from 14:30 to 17:45
- SundayFrom 08:30 to 11:30
No visits during services.